Our client based in North London are currently recruiting a School Meals Supervisory Assistant (SMSA) to supervise pupils during the lunch period in the dining hall, playground areas and school premises, ensuring the safety, welfare, physical and mental well-being of pupils and the maintenance of good order and discipline.
Duties to include but not limited to:
- Report to the Head Teacher/Senior SMSA at beginning of the lunch period and receive instructions with regard to duties e.g. special attention certain pupils may need, any special dietary needs, pupils who are to be allowed off school site etc.
- Before pupils enter the dining hall, to ensure that pupils have visited the toilet and washed their hands where appropriate.
- Organise dinner queue and entrance of pupils into dining hall and from dining hall to playground; ensuring good behaviour and calm atmosphere. To deal with any bullying/fighting that may occur using own judgement (to intervene or call for assistance), report incidents to Head Teacher/Senior SMSA according to severity of incident.
- Encourage social skills and good table manners, ensuring safety with knives and forks; to assist in pouring gravy or water where appropriate and to organise scraping and stacking of dinner plates/beakers and ensure cutlery is not thrown into food waste bucket if, or as required by the Head teacher.
- Clean up spillages when food is spilt or dropped where such spillages are hazardous to pupils/staff.
- Deal with body spillages in the dining hall in accordance with infection control procedures, to change clothing and wash pupil if necessary and to ensure that pupil goes to medical room.
- Have shared responsibility with other SMSA’s and/or teachers for the maintenance of order and discipline in the dining hall.
- To prevent bullying, counsel children, be aware of changes in friendships, encourage socialising, play etc. and occasionally participate in games.
- Report any bad behaviour, assaults, carrying of weapons by pupils or theft of belongings which may occur during the lunch break to the Head teacher/Senior SMSA.
- Ensure that pupils who leave the school site have permission to do so (only if required by the Head teacher/Senior SMSA).
- Supervise and control pupils on the school premises (hall and classrooms etc.); movement of pupils on stairs and through corridors, when they are not allowed outside in inclement weather.
- Enhanced DBS
- Experience in the same/similar role
- £10.93 p/h
This is a Temporary role but could possibly become permanent
Please note only candidates eligible to work in the UK will be considered