Our client based in Basildon are currently recruiting a Financial Accountant to join their team which is responsible for the treasury functions including managing daily cash flows and the provision of management information. Support is provided for both the General Fund and Housing capital programmes. In addition to treasury and capital the team has responsibility for other technical areas, which include VAT, leasing, Financial Regulations and other one off special projects that arise from time to time.
The successful candidate will need to have recent technical accounting skills/experience covering at least some of; capital/asset accounting, accounts prep, treasury, collection fund, vat. Management accounting experience alone will not be sufficient.
Duties to include but not limited to:
- Support the Finance Manager in the development of the Capital Strategy, Investment Strategy and Treasury Management Strategy. Contribute as appropriate to the development of the Medium Term Financial Strategy.
- Deputise for the Finance Manager in their absence.
- Effectively account for the fixed assets and maintain the asset register (total value in excess of £700 million).
- Provide an effective VAT advisory service. This includes ensuring that VAT is correctly accounted for, the preparation of monthly VAT returns (£9 million per annum), the partial exemption calculation and liaison with HMRC.
- Effectively manage the Treasury service and cash management systems including investing and borrowing as appropriate. This includes arranging leasing finance where appropriate and accounting for such arrangements correctly.
- Providing support to the Finance Manager in the delivery of the commercial asset acquisition strategy (£80 million)
- Providing support and direction to the teams delivering the regeneration activities.
- Be responsible for the preparation of the Annual Financial Report (AFR) to the agreed timetable. To ensure the AFR complies with legislation and the Code of Practice. This includes liaison with external audit.
- Coordinate and deliver the Whole of Government Accounts, RO and RA returns.
- The prompt allocation of all income and daily reconciliation to underlying records including to interface files from other systems.
- The transmission of all BACS files and the printing of all cheques.
- Responsible for the administration of the corporate credit card arrangements.
This is a Temporary role but could possibly become permanent
Please note only candidates eligible to work in the UK will be considered