2 Sep 2014
Experienced business support officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
A challenging and exciting role has opened up for a focussed and experienced business support officer to work as part of a core Business Support Administration Team working based in North London for local authority. This role is well suited to those candidates who have a proven track record in working for local authority.
Working as part of the administrative team to deliver a complete and holistic service providing comprehensive and timely responses to customer enquiries and supporting the housing and environment management team and front line officers in delivering services across the borough.
1. Provide administrative support and front line customer services to assist and support the Housing and Environment teams in service delivery while ensuring that service aims are met. This includes administration of a range of grants, licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation, deposit guarantee scheme, applications to Court for possession and other housing initiatives as well as those relating to parks, environmental contract monitoring, refuse and recycling. Using both IT and manual systems to log data.
2. Respond to customer enquiries by phone, by email, in writing or in person and to take ownership and responsibility for dealing with these enquiries effectively, promptly and in line with agreed standards and targets.
3. Maintain a full knowledge of housing and environment service policies and procedures as well as eligibility criteria required to be able to deliver a comprehensive support service to front line staff and departmental managers and customers.
4. Develop close and effective working relationships with Housing and Environment officers and other front line teams to ensure the effective delivery of a broad portfolio of services to customers.
5. Maintain accurate & up to date records of all customer enquiries and case work through the integrated Housing Management IT system and other systems as required.
6. Provides administrative support to the housing and environment management team including (but not exhaustive): Investigate, co-ordinate and respond to initial customer complaints and Members’ enquiries.
7. Attend and participate in regular team meetings, provide cover within the team (including reception cover), support colleagues, contribute to the development of the team and participate in the duty rota, supporting other council customer service teams as required.
8. Identify potential improvements to the service and work processing, flagging this up with managers, customer & business support supervisors and colleagues to find the best methods to develop and enhance the service.
9. To provide administrative and financial information ensuring the timely publication of reports and statistics weekly, monthly, financial year end and upon request.
10. Processing enquires, payments and procurement on behalf of front line services. Recording details diligently and providing statistical information for a variety of performance reports.
11. Ensure that delivery of the service is sensitive to different groups within the community, in line with the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
12. Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with agreed Council Policy and procedure, particularly the Councils Data protection, Equal Opportunities and Health & Safety policies.
13. Operate a variety of IT/computer systems and packages, including but not exclusively Flare & Capita structuring data to suit them, ensuring that data is accurate and reliable enabling accurate statistical analysis and reports to be run.
14. Undertake continuing professional development and provide coaching / support to other colleagues as appropriate to enhance the service provided and to meet the demands of the service as required.
15. Carry out any other reasonable duties as are commensurate with the post.
Attributes – Customer Focus, Development, Relationships, Personal Effectiveness, Expertise, Communication Skills (if appropriate), Managerial
(if appropriate), Health & Safety, Equalities Finance,
Experience of working in an administrative role in a pressurised customer service environment.
Experience in telephone customer care working.
Working effectively with a range of professional staff and external agencies.
Maintaining computerised and manual information management systems.
Previous experience of working as part of a team.
Understanding of what makes for a good customer service particularly in relation to external agencies.
Understanding of and commitment to Equality of Opportunity and Diversity.
Awareness of the necessary conditions for an effective and safe work environment.
Familiarity with office equipment e.g. photocopier, fax, telephone and printers.
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
Experience in the use of a variety of computer packages including Microsoft Office and various databases.
Consistently achieves high levels of accuracy when recording information in systems and complies with set process and procedures.
The ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels in a calm, confident and mature manner both verbally and in writing.
Good organisational and time management skills with a flexible and approachable attitude.
Ability to write clear, accurate and concise records with the ability to analyse data from a variety of sources.
Educated to a GCSE or equivalent level with a good level of numeracy and literacy.
Committed to personal and professional development
NVQ Business Administration Level 3, BTEC or equivalent
|Salary||GBP 11 – 14 Hourly Rate|
|Career Level Required||Experienced (Non-Manager)|
|Experience Required||Minimum 2 years|
|Education Required||Business Administration or equivalent|
|Job Type||Temporary / Contract|
|Job Status||Full Time|